Population: 50,882,891 in 2022
GDP per capita (US$): $5,335 in 2020
The burden of malnutrition in Cambodia:
- Anemia in pregnancy decreased from 55.4% in 2000 to 51.5% in 2019
- Low birth weight Infants decreased from 15.4% in 2000 to 12.1% in 2015
- Under-5 mortality rate per 1,000 live births:
- Boys decreased from 113.7 in 2000 to 29.6 in 2019
- Girls decreased from 103.8 in 2001 to 23.4 in 2019
- Malnutrition in children under 5 years of age:
- Stunting decreased from 49% in 2000 to 32.4% in 2014
- Wasting decreased from 17.1% in 2000 to 9.7% in 2014
Source: Global Nutrition Report, 2022
Bountiful Children in Cambodia:
- Bountiful Children’s Foundation went into Phnom Pehn in 2012
- 265 children and 14 mothers receive help each month as of 2022
- See more information below
Cambodia - History and Demographics
The Kingdom of Cambodia spans timeless landscapes of dazzling rice paddies, fabled temple ruins and the chaotic capitol of Phnom Penh. It is located in the southern portion of the Indochinese Peninsula in Southeast Asia bordered by Thailand to the northwest, Laos to the northeast, Vietnam to the east and the Gulf of Thailand to the southwest. Buddhism is practiced by more than 97% of the population. Undernutrition is widespread in Cambodia with 24% of children being underweight and 32% of children under 5 years of age being stunted.
Bountiful Children in Cambodia
Cambodia has extreme poverty and malnutrition. More than 80% of the children screened in Phnom Pehn in 2012 were starving. In some cases, 5-year-olds weighed the same as 1 1/2-year-olds. As a result, the first nutrition programs in Cambodia quickly filled up. Families had to be turned away during the initial screenings.
Our Beloved Children in Cambodia
by filmmaker Ben King of Oxigeno Film
Communities in Cambodia
Available for Adoption
Considering A Donation?
100% of your donation goes directly toward helping children in need! Overhead costs are covered by generous board member donations.
- $8 = feeds 1 child for a month
- $25 = feeds 3 children for a month
- $100 = feeds 1 child for a year
- $500 = feeds an average community for a month
- $6,000 = adopts a community of your choice for one year
Our mission is to provide nutritional supplementation to malnourished children and pregnant/nursing mothers as well as to teach health and cognitive development skills to families in the areas we serve.